Poll: What is the mlp dub like in your country?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
It's great Happy !
11.90%
5 11.90%
It's okay, could be 20% cooler though...
23.81%
10 23.81%
meh :/
19.05%
8 19.05%
It's baaaad >-<
14.29%
6 14.29%
OH DEAR CELESTIA THE MONSTROSITY!!!!!
30.95%
13 30.95%
Total 42 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Mlp dub in your country
I was just wondering, how are the mlp dubs in your country?
I'm from the Netherlands and I find the dutch dubs to be.... odd :/
It's not horrible but a lot of the voices don't really fit the characters and the songs are usually sung waaay of key xD but yeah, that's just my opinion ^^
So what are the dubs like where you live C: ?
Brohoof
Well, the Swedish dub brought us sexy Spitfire (applepieee~), so that's a big plus. There's a heap of other stuff in the dub that is just plain wrong though. In general the voicework is good, but the script translation needs work.

I find the Norwegian dub to be much more enjoyable than the Swedish one, in particular when it comes to the singing, but I haven't really watched more than half an episode of each, the rest is just snippets of complaints others have made in the swedish brony community.
(19.12.2012, 17:17)Twooshort Wrote: In general the voicework is good, but the script translation needs work.

Same for german dub.

It's a matter of preferences, really. Applejack soudns nice imo, others complain all day - sure she doesn't do a fancy accent, but that would be culturally unknown here anyway, for the most part.

My favorites are Rarity (hands down) and Applejack.

Our Shining Armor has the same voice as adult Harry Potter. Never seen the movies, but the voice is major win.
Cadance was so-so, Chrysalis awesome.
I could go on and on.

Songs are either win or fail.
"Art of the Dress" went superb in german, Winter-Wrap-Up had a great translation, but the choir was just bad. This Day Aria was totally mad. Still trying to avoid coplicated words (for the kids, since the german public hardly thinks a cartoon can be for adults ... at best they know The Simpsons, things like Amrican Dad go beyond most knowledge) and still used "inszenieren" (note: "scene" in it, meaning is: forge/fake a situation). Dawut?

Thanks to all the remixes and whatnot I hardly can remember german lines however.

If you followed "international voice acting comparision" videos posted EQD, you notice that the german version is present in the fail-lists (and rightly so), but rarely. It gains leading places in the win-lists, but polish takes the prize in many ways I'd say. By what I saw and heard that is.

There's gradually coming more acceptance I take it. Either that or the bickering voices got tired.

I was able (like many others) to meet the german Twilight, Julia Meynen at Galacon 2012. She's a very friendly person and even did a german version of "Twilightlicious" prior to Galacon. I think a video is available at youtube.
Yes, found it. The dude simply added the soundfile.
Click here.

As for the infamous swedish Spitfire ... that's nothing compared to Mrs Anneli Heed herself! Also visiting us at Galacon 2012, she was almost as crazy as Tara Strong. With people like these, how can we deem our versions as so bad?

Only bad point is for translation itself.

They made the Cupcake song about Muffins.
Derpy would be happy, but WHAT NOW?!

Speaking of Derpy. Her name was NOT mentioned in the episode, as rumors went around EQD, but her voice is great.
Click for german Derpy.

Translation (literally):
1. "Well, something must've gone wrong!"
2. "Be-auti-ful, Rainbow Dash!"
3. "Caution!"
4. "Everything okay, Rainbow Dash? Can I, perhaps, help you in any way?"
5. "Whoops, my mistake!"
6. Literally needs no translation.

We have our ups and downs.
But I love it. It's how I got to it and will thus respect it.
(Even more soe, voice acting is hard.)

I forgot, I have a favorite line from the dutch version!
That part where the CMC meet and decide on their club's name. When Scoots is about to take a Cupcake, Apple Bloom stops her. THAT LINE. "Not The Cupcakes! Trust me!" Awesome.
What was that in dutch ... "Vetrau me?" Sorry, I never learned any dutch. : (
Yes I know, there are the clichees between the countries, but I worked 9 months in The Netherlands and it was a great time and great people. There you go.
The Dutch dubs are really horrible here. The Netherlands is a relatively small country with only a handful voice actors. When watching Dutch MLP (usually against my will) I can occasionally name at least 5 other cartoon characters that voice actor has voiced. And it's just plain bad in general compared to the English dubs, imo.

And don't get me started on songs...
[Image: 3bmYO.png]
Well.. the Czech dub is quite simple to describe.

At the Gala was voted the worst song ever.
Cupcakes song basically goes like this - Baskets baskets, oh so delicious Baskets!
Thats right - cupcakes in czech means baskets.. so yeah.. they are baking and eating delicious baskets...

We actually have a clinic for the poor people who have seen MLP in Czech language, they usually spend watching entire season 1 and 2 in English afterwards, to ease on the nightmares..
Luna 2017: Festival Fantazie, Galacon, CZEQUESTRIA 
[Image: eurobarczechrep_zpsebab84c0.png]
[Image: Signature_Banner_zps0bwfwkhu.png]

Czequestria's dragon keeper
(19.12.2012, 17:39)Stargaze Wrote:
(19.12.2012, 17:17)Twooshort Wrote: In general the voicework is good, but the script translation needs work.

Same for german dub.

It's a matter of preferences, really. Applejack soudns nice imo, others complain all day - sure she doesn't do a fancy accent, but that would be culturally unknown here anyway, for the most part.

My favorites are Rarity (hands down) and Applejack.

Our Shining Armor has the same voice as adult Harry Potter. Never seen the movies, but the voice is major win.
Cadance was so-so, Chrysalis awesome.
I could go on and on.

Songs are either win or fail.
"Art of the Dress" went superb in german, Winter-Wrap-Up had a great translation, but the choir was just bad. This Day Aria was totally mad. Still trying to avoid coplicated words (for the kids, since the german public hardly thinks a cartoon can be for adults ... at best they know The Simpsons, things like Amrican Dad go beyond most knowledge) and still used "inszenieren" (note: "scene" in it, meaning is: forge/fake a situation). Dawut?

Thanks to all the remixes and whatnot I hardly can remember german lines however.

If you followed "international voice acting comparision" videos posted EQD, you notice that the german version is present in the fail-lists (and rightly so), but rarely. It gains leading places in the win-lists, but polish takes the prize in many ways I'd say. By what I saw and heard that is.

There's gradually coming more acceptance I take it. Either that or the bickering voices got tired.

I was able (like many others) to meet the german Twilight, Julia Meynen at Galacon 2012. She's a very friendly person and even did a german version of "Twilightlicious" prior to Galacon. I think a video is available at youtube.
Yes, found it. The dude simply added the soundfile.
Click here.

As for the infamous swedish Spitfire ... that's nothing compared to Mrs Anneli Heed herself! Also visiting us at Galacon 2012, she was almost as crazy as Tara Strong. With people like these, how can we deem our versions as so bad?

Only bad point is for translation itself.

They made the Cupcake song about Muffins.
Derpy would be happy, but WHAT NOW?!

Speaking of Derpy. Her name was NOT mentioned in the episode, as rumors went around EQD, but her voice is great.
Click for german Derpy.

Translation (literally):
1. "Well, something must've gone wrong!"
2. "Be-auti-ful, Rainbow Dash!"
3. "Caution!"
4. "Everything okay, Rainbow Dash? Can I, perhaps, help you in any way?"
5. "Whoops, my mistake!"
6. Literally needs no translation.

We have our ups and downs.
But I love it. It's how I got to it and will thus respect it.
(Even more soe, voice acting is hard.)

I forgot, I have a favorite line from the dutch version!
That part where the CMC meet and decide on their club's name. When Scoots is about to take a Cupcake, Apple Bloom stops her. THAT LINE. "Not The Cupcakes! Trust me!" Awesome.
What was that in dutch ... "Vetrau me?" Sorry, I never learned any dutch. : (
Yes I know, there are the clichees between the countries, but I worked 9 months in The Netherlands and it was a great time and great people. There you go.

Haha I think it was "Vertrouw me" x3 . But I've never seen that ep. in dutch, now I want to thought :P . And I agree with you, I have seen some snippets of the german dub and it sounded pretty good actually.
I also really liked the French dub, especially french Rarity and Fluttershy C:
Brohoof
CMC Multilangauge, 13 languages:

dutch at 1:54
German also encluded (yes, Apple Bloom is THAT high and Sweetie Belle THAT low. Sccots is perfect, but Sweetie sounds way too old).

"Vertrouw me". I'll carve that into my memory, thanks. ^^

... vertrouw me ... RD deals with it Too epic.

@ Melgarh:
A private clinic. xD I like your style.
Although, I can see why Cupcakes would be named baskets. After all, you bake them in a baking form. Insofar, not a false approach.

- - -

I just remembered, Season 1 Nightmare Moon got a very adult voice, implying authority and assertiveness. Luna, for the one line she had, got a teeny voice. That was okay.
And then Luna Season 2? Same voice as Nightmare Moon back then. DURRHURR.
But she did do a good job in termsof intonation and so on.
"Cutie-tastische Sterretjes" FacehoofFacehoofFacehoof
[Image: 3bmYO.png]
(20.12.2012, 10:44)Stargaze Wrote: CMC Multilangauge, 13 languages:

dutch at 1:54
German also encluded (yes, Apple Bloom is THAT high and Sweetie Belle THAT low. Sccots is perfect, but Sweetie sounds way too old).

"Vertrouw me". I'll carve that into my memory, thanks. ^^

... vertrouw me ... RD deals with it Too epic.

@ Melgarh:
A private clinic. xD I like your style.
Although, I can see why Cupcakes would be named baskets. After all, you bake them in a baking form. Insofar, not a false approach.

- - -

I just remembered, Season 1 Nightmare Moon got a very adult voice, implying authority and assertiveness. Luna, for the one line she had, got a teeny voice. That was okay.
And then Luna Season 2? Same voice as Nightmare Moon back then. DURRHURR.
But she did do a good job in termsof intonation and so on.

Hahaha you're right xD german Sweetie Belle sounds like an old woman xDDD
Brohoof
I pretty much can agree to Stargaze. I already liked the germand dub for Season 1. It may had its flaws sometimes, but overall it was pretty good. Dialogue translation is pretty good most of the times. Especially when you have to keep in mind that phrases or puns are very hard to translate accurate sometimes.

And for Season 2, the Dub even improved, most of the german VA's are now used to their roles now. Especially german Twilight, voiced by VA Julia Meynen took the critics and suggestions to hard, she got at 2012 Galacon.
The german dub had its issues in first season, but greatly improved in second season. They do a pretty good job trying to get the balance between doing literal translations, keeping the original meaning and making it work lip-sync. You cannot always score on all three, especially since German tends to be longer than English when saying the same, but usually they do find a good compromise. At some times they even surpassed the expectations, compared to the pre-air discussions at bronies.de on how to translate stuff the best.

The second part of second season had some issues though, not in translation, but in post-processing: Double voices, not being in sync, and most notably, use of the dutch intro for some strange reason. It has been speculated that that was the reason why they suddenly postponed the last few episodes.

My personal highlight from season 2: The BBBFF song, especially the ending of part 2:

Original:
He was my big brother, best friend... forever...
And now, we'll never do anything... together...

German dub:
Mein großer Bruder war mein Freund... fürs Leben...
doch scheint es ewige Freundschaft nicht... zu geben...

Literal translation:
My big brother was my friend... for life...
but it seems that ever lasting friendship doesn't... exist...

As you can see, Its not a literal translation, but still catches the spirit of the original song in a way that even surpasses the original text. And best of it: Watch the video, its even perfectly lip sync:

[spoiler=German BBBFF song - Großer Bruder, ein Freund für's Leben][/spoiler]

Thats dubbing that can't be done any better!
404compliant      •      Germany      •      GalaCon Volunteer Relations      •      Pony Events Federation HRM
Finnish dubs are generally bad, but the MLP dub is tolerable.

Here's a good example of how bad the dubs can be:
(It really is the official dub on DVD...)

The Cutie Mark Crusaders clip in Finnish:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ig5RYfAWiYQ#t=1209s
[Image: eurobarfinland_zps6d15d57f.png]

[Image: signature2.png]

Crystal Fair Con Committee
No need to repeat what others said about the German dub. It still has its problems (and I personally think Applejack and Fluttershy are still very subpar), but it has definitely improved heaps. My personal highlights are Discord and the Flim Flam Brothers song as well as Lesson Zero in its entirety Smiling
[Image: 8bitApplejack.png]
Artworks // Shirts & Prints // Ask Human Discord
Head of Events and PR Assistant at GalaCon

German Derpy has so much cute.
Russian official dub is considered by non-Russian speakers as a decent one, and I tend to agree that the voice acting is quite OK, but the script is worst possible, it seems that they hired a first-grade student to make it, who hardly had ever seen the show even during the translation.
Russian brony musician: My YouTube Channel

[Image: eurobarrussia.png]
Hmm I´m from the Netherlands as well and I must say , I don´t really like them voices.
Last year at Galacon one of the the NL Bronies said I should at least give it a try but after watching a couple of episodes it just felt like they could have done a tad more. I mean Dashies voice ----THE HORROR.
Spikes voice is probably the only one that fits his character.
The german episodes are quite nice as well but I rather tend to watch/read english movies/books.
Sound a bit like treason =)
In Germany, this is true:

Same voice:

German Rarity's VA first name is Rubina. Pinkie approved
(23.12.2012, 14:18)Stargaze Wrote: In Germany, this is true:

Same voice:

German Rarity's VA first name is Rubina. Pinkie approved

Damn, and I was thinking the whole time: "From where do you know this voice!" XD
There are a few other roles, I think... mah, I'll go investigoogle that XD
The german dub isn't perfect, but it's ok.
The Flim Flam Brothers Song is really awesome Twilight smile

Sometimes it needs to be about 20% cooler RD wink
[Image: tlrhmscuf1.jpg]
I'm sorry if there are any mistakes in my english Pinkie approved
I'm afraid I have nothing else to add and thus going to agree with WaveHack Happy
[Image: hwconbanner700x200.png]