"Is my stuff even allowed?" - The YAYs and NEIGHs of GalaCon
Exclamation 
Hay there everypony!

Ever since I started planning what I could bring to GalaCon with my Pinkie Pie cosplay I wondered: "Huh, will that even be allowed? Are they going to kick me out for that?"
So I thought I could collect these questions in one central thread for everpony to read. The point is to collect questions like "Is XYZ allowed at GalaCon?" in this thread and in the first post. I hope I'll get many people to ask their questions and GalaCon officials to answer them like "yes", "yes, but...", "maybe, if..." "no, except..." or plain "no!". So I'm going to start:

The YAYs and NEIGHs of GalaCon
pun by Weatherhoof :P

1. Prohibited by German laws
There are those things prohibited by federal law! No weapons, no Nazi symbols, no illegal stuff. It's common sense that you don't bring anything illegal, isn't it? If you're not sure if something might be illegal in Germany, feel free to ask!
2. Prohibited by the owners of the venue
There are things that might be banned from Forum Ludwigsburg for reasons of fire safety and other things. Feel free to ask, it's for your own safety!
3. Prohibited by GalaCon
Haters, meanies, litter... There are things that our hosts from GalaCon team and most visitors just won't see at the convention. This is another point you have to keep in mind when asking your questions.

And now for the questions and answers:

I. Sparklers
[view image]
A sparkler is a type of hand-held firework that burns slowly while emitting colored flames, sparks, and other effects. (Wikipedia)
Pros: Great for concerts and stuff. There are even sparklers with letters or objects and someone might want to make a pony sparkler. That could be awesome.
Cons: A fire source is needed and a sparkler burns with a heat of its own shooting (twilight) sparkles at random!
GalaCon: "Shall only be handled by volunteers and panelist in events (most walls are real wood, and even sparklers can leave burn marks!)" (wh)

II. Confetti Guns [view image]
These guns that don't resemble real guns can shoot a small amount of plastic confetti.
Pros: These babies go with any kind of cosplay. You can just shoot a confetti storm in the air and nobody gets hurt. And it's plastic so it's not easily inflammable!
Cons: Litter. There will be confetti all over the place. Someone might offer to clean it up. Also the "pang" could easily shock people!
GalaCon: "In the front yard yes, if a cleaning volunteer is nearby - indoors, due to possible panics, no!" (wh)

III. Party Poppers [view image]
You turn these cannons and they will fire confetti in a bigger amount and with a louder "pang".
Pros: They are a hell of a fun for parties when everyone gets showered in confetti. It's like Pinkie Pie's party cannon and great for every Pinkie Pie cosplay. It'll be a blast!
Cons: They're loud and they're littering. You surely can't fire them off in small rooms and it'll be hard to clean outside! Also, see "Confetti Guns".
GalaCon: "In the front yard yes, if a cleaning volunteer is nearby - indoors, due to possible panics, no!" (wh)

IV. Actual confetti cannon! [view image]
These babies will blow confetti high up in the air. It's usually used for stadiums or music shows.
Pros: These cannons mean the real deal. Everyone will notice!
Cons: You definitely can't fire them off inside of buildings. How can you even afford to rent such a thing?!? Seriously are you even allowed to use this?!?
GalaCon: "No, since they are dangerous in hands of non-stage technicians."

V. Party Blowouts [view image]
You blow in them... they make noise... What else can I say?
Pros: No confetti, no pyrotechnics. Everyone could easily get one! You know how to use them, don't you? They're fun!
Cons: Oh the noise! Where did you all get these? That will be on every video in the internet! Why?!?
GalaCon: Allowed (wh) Pinkie approved

VI. Open Fire [view image]
There are flames that burn with a specific color or even without. Let's have a bonfire!
Pros: Look at this green flame! Looks like Spike's! Let us all write letters to princess Celestia and "send" them into the fire! Also a bonfire is a great place to meet and stare at the flames!
Cons: Are you insane! That could actual set the whole place on fire!
GalaCon: "If you want to pay the fire fighters and waste 3 hours of the convention for all... - so NO!" (wh)

VII. replicas of weapons and similar devices [view image]
IvoryKeysADSR asked if a papercraft replica of the "Vigilance", a fictional gun from Fallout Equestria/Project Horizons could be allowed for cosplay reasons. Thanks for the question. I'd like to add similar ideas to this one since there are some points to keep in mind:
  • Is it really necessary?
  • What material is it made of? (Usually allowed if made of soft and/or light material to reduce the risk of injury.)
  • Could it be mistaken for a real weapon?
  • Is it functional/does it shoot projectiles even when they couldn't hurt someone?
Pros: Cosplayers need props. There are other conventions where fantasy weaponry is even encouraged for cosplayers. If I try really hard to make a great costume I should be allowed to make it perfect by making all of it. I'd like to bring Pinkie Pie's party cannon, a weapon from a fanfic or other fan work (pony.mov etc.).
Cons: GalaCon is not a regular anime, comic, fantasy or SciFi convention. It's about My Little Pony and it's fandom. What do have ponies to do with weapons? Also, there's a law against carrying toys/replicas that look like real guns in public (§ 42a WaffG)
GalaCon:
  • All kinds of harmful weapons are prohibited.
  • All replica weapons are prohibited.
  • Soft air guns, blunted swords, anything explosive, brass knuckles, knives or any other weapons which can inflict serious pain are prohibited.
  • Spike collars and bracelets are only allowed if the spikes are shorter than 5cm / 2 inch and blunt.
  • LARP weapons, foam weapons and any other weapons meant for safe usage are allowed.
  • The convention staff can and will check your weapon and decide whether it’s safe or not.
Taken from the GalaCon Rules
Now to answer specific questions like these:
  • Staffs/rods/wands/poles/brooms are allowed if they are LARP/foam weapons (see above); please don't bring wooden or metal staffs.
  • Whips and lashes are prohibited because they could lead to strangulation or other injuries.
  • Water pistols/squirt guns are allowed outside the venue as long as they are not high pressure (that means no Super Soakers!) and you're not soaking random people.
  • Nerf Guns and similar toys with projectiles are not allowed. If you like to bring a modified Nerf Gun for your cosplay okay (see below), but please leave your ammo at home.
  • Models of fictional weapons that don't look like real/existing guns and can't be mistaken for such and are thereby no "replica weapons" in the way of § 42a WaffG are allowed. When in doubt, please ask the staff. (wh)
  • Pinkie Pie Party Cannons (non-functional) are allowed if they are made of soft and/or light material to reduce the risk of injury. (wh)
  • Bizzaams are allowed and encouraged.
  • Wife-Throwing-Devices are allowed as long as they're used to protect the special guests/the convention/the world.
  • If you’re not sure whether or not your weapon will be allowed, ask the GalaCon staff via email beforehand.

VIII. Gas masks, tactical suits and other military outfits [view image]
There have been cases of people bringing military equipment. Either as part of a cosplay or for personal identification. Thanks DehiXeM for reminding of this subject.
Pros: I need this for my cosplay. My Wonderbolt/Rainbow Dash outfit is a Top-Gun-pilot style. Also I need my gas mask! People don't know me without it. It's what I am!
Cons: Tactical suits are no cosplay! Even for Resident Evil or Stargate cosplayers they should be forbidden. This is serious business. You could be mistaken for someone on a killing spree. People will call the police. Same goes for gas masks. Gee, you could even suffocate in this thing. Also see § 17a VersammlG that prohibits wearing face coverings on public events and demonstrations.
GalaCon:
  • Military accessories are prohibited - "so besides parade uniforms/fantasy uniforms (of the Royal Equestrian Guards), leave your war toys at home."(wh)
  • Face painting is allowed but please refrain from radical/military warpaint etc. for it's not very "My Little Pony" and could cast us bronies in a negative light.
  • Military/security/outdoor boots are allowed as long as they have a soft sole.
  • If you’re not sure whether or not your costume will be allowed, ask the staff via email beforehand.

IX. Bass Cannon [view image]
Picture exaggerated... maybe.
A fish-tossing device. A portable bass machine. Feel the beat.
Pros: This will be a great prop for a Vın̈yl Scratch (scnr)/DJ Pon3 cosplay and other cosplays. And it will bring the songs of our people to every place at the venue not just the event rooms.
Cons: When it's too strong or loud it could annoy the other visitors and guests and disturb panels and events. Also there's a hospital next to the venue... okay it's a private aesthetic-plastic surgery... but a hospital nonetheless. So please keep it down outside.
GalaCon: Within these terms (view original post) allowed. Stay below 80 dB with it.(wh) 80 dB can be compared to a lawn mower if you stand right next to him. Even this can cause long-term harm, so please don't overuse it. Happy

X. Glow Sticks[view image]
A glow stick is a self-contained, short-term light-source. It consists of a translucent plastic tube containing isolated substances that, when combined, make light through chemiluminescence, so it does not require an external energy source. (Wikipedia)
Pros: No convention without glow sticks. They're fun after sunset and can enhance the atmosphere when music is played.
Cons: "While Bronypalooza a glow stick was thrown into one of the ceiling lamps. While the palooza nobody noticed it, but on the next day while the VA panel the glow stick caught fire."
GalaCon: "Since we can reach the lights and also the light bulbs are behind a protection: OK (no Burnycon for you)" (wh)

XI. Brought Food & Drinks [view image]
Actually I didn't want to post it here since it's a topic in other threads and the common rules just like no booze, no smoking. But sometimes we happen to forget what's also in this category.
Pros: I want to surprise my friends! With Derpy/Ditzy-muffins, Pinkie-cupcakes, Tara Pies, Rainbow-Cakes and the like. It's not provisions for me but gifts for my friends. Or it just goes with my cosplay.
Cons: The GalaCon has contracts with the venue and its caterer. So as long as we want to keep that location it's better not to break these contracts. Please don't bring your own food. RD wink
GalaCon:
  • Inside the venue: only bottled drinks (no glass bottles!) and food/drinks by the caterer
  • Outside the venue: own food and drinks (soft-drinks, water and juice) and food/drinks by the caterer
  • Outside at the restaurant's terrace: Only food and drinks by the caterer.
Original Code by Yavos, see [Original Post]
Code:
own drinks in bottles  |  other own drinks  |  own food  |  drinks by caterer  |  food by caterer
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inside         yes     |         no         |     no     |         yes         |       yes
Outside        yes     |        yes         |    yes     |         yes         |       yes
Terrace         no     |         no         |     no     |         yes         |       yes

XII. Additional cosplay accessories [view image]
A costume is not just clothing. There are wings and horns and other things to keep an eye on. Here are some individual questions.
Pros: The more the better! I've spent weeks on this costume and now I want to show it.
Cons: This is a convention for everybody so please consider other visitors.
GalaCon:
  • Face painting, see VIII.
  • Wings are okay, as long as they aren't too large. They are not allowed inside the venue if they are a hindrance - except for a cosplay contest.
  • Armor: Typical LARP armors and armor parts are made of light, thin steel. The edges are blunt and there are no spikes or other pointy ornaments. [view example] These armors are tolerated as long as you are wary and cautious not to harm other people. You should be accustomed to wearing armor to avoid accidents. Self-made steel armors are forbidden because of the risks of leaving sharp edges. Foam rubber "armor" is encouraged. If you're not sure whether or not your armor will be allowed, ask the staff via email beforehand and send a picture.
  • 18+ content: "Just like Friendship is Magic itself, GalaCon is 100% family-friendly. While we’re not a children’s event, we still aim to make the convention comfortable for all ages. This means that absolutely no sexualized, politically charged, brutal or otherwise inappropriate content will be featured at the convention. No exceptions!" [from GalaCon FAQs] That means any grimdark costume/cosplay is prohibited. That includes ".MOV" and "Cupcakes" content etc.
XIII. Cameras [view image]
Some things you have in mind when filming or taking pictures as a visitor. For press rules visit [GalaCon Press Rules page].
Pros: I want to make memories and the best way to keep them are thousands of pictures that I'll share all over the web. (I also want to see the pictures that other visitors have taken!)
Cons: Even at a convention there are people that won't be filmed or photographed.
GalaCon: Filming is allowed except on panels where it's explicitly forbidden. Usually you have to ask for permission before taking pictures (yes, even when somepony wears a costume). People using "GoPro Hero" cameras and similar devices have to be especially wary. If someone who didn't want to be filmed finds himself on a photo or video on the internet and asks you to remove it, then delete the picture and edit the video. This is part of international personality right. Thank you.

XIV. Pressurized spray containers, e.g. deodorant sprays
Deodorants, hairsprays and similar hygiene products come in aerosol spray bottles. They might be a threat.
Pros: They're for personal hygiene.
Cons: They're a fire hazard.
GalaCon: Not allowed inside the venue due to the fire protection system and wooden walls inside the hall. Please use them in your hotel rooms.

Please keep your questions coming! Happy
I. Shall only be handled by volunteers and panelist in events (most walls are real wood, and even sparklers can leave burn marks)

II. In the frontyard yes, if a cleaning volunteer is nearby - indoors, due to possible panics, no

III. see II.

IV: No, since their are dangerous in hands of non-stage technicians.

V: allowed

VI: If you want to pay the fire fighters and waste 3 hours of the convention for all... - so NO.
GalaCon.eu

national correspondence
social network service
press service
hotel service
Papercraft replica of this for cosplaying reasons,
DeviantArt

yay or neigh?
Pony / non-pony musician, Bronies.cz global mod
[Image: nsWsqeh.png]

Youtube / Soundcloud / Facebook
Should include military accessories (eg : gazmask) to the list ^^
From France with love.
Galacon 2012 : Check.
Galacon 2013 : Check.
Galacon 2014 : Check!
Thanks IvoryKeysADSR and DehiXeM! I added the subjects to the list. Some questions need to be answered by GalaCon officials.^^
(26.04.2013, 16:45)Weatherhoof Wrote: II. In the frontyard yes, if a cleaning volunteer is nearby - indoors, due to possible panics, no

Confetti in the front yard (eg. outside) will be incredibly messy to clean up, and pray that it's not starting to rain, or you're gonna learn to hate confetti. Who ever starts this should stay in contact to the local guards, and should offer clean up help.

Because of the much easier cleanup, I'd suggest to allow it indoors under strict rules, eg. only under observation by guards, only as long as the guards think its safe, only in not too crowded areas, and as long as it fits with the general mood of the crowd. Absolutely no confetti fights.
(disclaimer: Just my 2c, team has to decide this.)

Oh, and while at it, no leek (Lauch) inside the venue. Don't even think about it. (If you don't know WTF this is about, believe me, you don't wanna know...Twilight: No, Really?)
404compliant      •      Germany      •      GalaCon Volunteer Relations      •      Pony Events Federation HRM
(26.04.2013, 16:36)One-Winged Angel Wrote: Same goes for gas masks. Gee, you could even suffocate in this thing.
Don't wear gas masks or you might suffocate? Oh, the irony.
Shame Germany has stricter rules on this sort of thing - I've seen TF2 Pyro cosplay for example at events elsewhere.

(28.04.2013, 12:08)404compliant Wrote: Oh, and while at it, no leek (Lauch) inside the venue. Don't even think about it. (If you don't know WTF this is about, believe me, you don't wanna know...Twilight: No, Really?)
Oh god no, I remember that. Facehoof
Member of UK of Equestria
Mitglied von bronies.de
Last year we had a Pyro Pie cosplayer - the police at their control visit on Sunday was not very pleased, that we allowed it/forgot to remind him that gas mask violates (besides other laws) VersG §17a 2.1 -

we don't want to invade France at the GalaCon weekend - so besides parade uniforms/fantasy uniforms (of the Royal Equestrian Guards), leave your war toys at home.
GalaCon.eu

national correspondence
social network service
press service
hotel service
Well, better check now then to loose the most important part of my entire cosplay and 6 months of work - How about the "Basscanon" ? Yay or nay?

-----------

Glowsticks - yay or nay?

Cheers,
-Mel
Luna 2017: Festival Fantazie, Galacon, CZEQUESTRIA 
[Image: eurobarczechrep_zpsebab84c0.png]
[Image: Signature_Banner_zps0bwfwkhu.png]

Czequestria's dragon keeper
Bass Cannon - within these terms no problem (stay below 80 dB with it)

Glowsticks - since we can reach the lights and also the light bulbs are behind a protection: OK (no Burnycon for you)
GalaCon.eu

national correspondence
social network service
press service
hotel service
Thanks for the answers Weatherhoof! =)

Just to check on the dB level - on the outside of the con (not quite sure where the premises end), during the day-light time, what is an acceptable level and within German Law? (because of the nature of the Nature and how the resonance works and the fact that the thing works on batteries, dont think I could pull off more than 100+dB with it anyway in open area). And yeah, I've enough brains to not be a jerk like people with certain cars thinking that blasting their boom box right under our windows of IT office is cool Wink

Uhm.. what happened with glowsticks ? Somepony actually managed to burn one???

>Melgarh: Just look the Burnycon part of the Bronies documentary or google it - in short: While Bronypalooza a glowstick was thrown into one of the ceiling lamps. While the palooza nobody noticed it, but on the next day while the VA panel the glowstick caught fire.
GalaCon.eu

national correspondence
social network service
press service
hotel service
Okay, three new questions thanks to you guys and even more answers thanks to Weatherhoof.

(28.04.2013, 13:56)Silver Broom Wrote:
(26.04.2013, 16:36)One-Winged Angel Wrote: Same goes for gas masks. Gee, you could even suffocate in this thing.
Don't wear gas masks or you might suffocate? Oh, the irony.

Irony indeed. When the air filter is not fully functional the risk of suffocation is pretty high. So you should never buy used gas masks on eBay except when you can change the filter.

(28.04.2013, 12:08)404compliant Wrote: Confetti in the front yard (eg. outside) will be incredibly messy to clean up, and pray that it's not starting to rain, or you're gonna learn to hate confetti. Who ever starts this should stay in contact to the local guards, and should offer clean up help.

Because of the much easier cleanup, I'd suggest to allow it indoors under strict rules, eg. only under observation by guards, only as long as the guards think its safe, only in not too crowded areas, and as long as it fits with the general mood of the crowd. Absolutely no confetti fights.
(disclaimer: Just my 2c, team has to decide this.)

I'd second that. This is the reason I never used confetti in my Pinkie Pie cosplay. Though I know others did.
For the party poppers: I tried them at home shooting a straight horizontal line although they are supposed to be fired up. What a mess... Happy that could never be cleaned up outside when there's the slightest wind (maybe at carnival).
I'd prefer them indoors, maybe we could use smaller poppers. But the room should be large and high enough. Can be easily cleaned with a broom. I'd do that myself^^
Well, since I've found myself with some spare time at work, I've thought up some questions which can save some trouble to some people, I hope at least..

1) GoPro Hero cameras and such devices - is constant "on-live" Video/Audio recording equipment Yay/Nay?

2) Brooms, poles, staves/staff (plastic, wooden, etc). - no idea if any cosplayers would even use such a thing but considering that Starswirl the Bearded could be cosplayed and could be pulled off with a staff, better ask =)

3) Pressurized spray containers - I mean deodorants since its gonna be hot and, presumably, sweaty day.

4) Daring Do Cosplay - which naturally comes with a .. whip.. yikes! As long as kept as an accessory, I presume its Pinkie approved ?

5) Water "guns" - inside I can see a definitive no, but outside under rule of "Only for agreed participants" ? (its going to be a summery August after all..)

6) Angelic wings/Pegasus wings/ very large wings/cosplay attachment - Nothing looks cooler than looking like an Angel.. or even Archangel Tyrael or in this case, Princess Celestia with lovely royal wings.. but they can become hindrance and annoyance if they block view or the doors are just too small Fluttershy grin Whats your view on this?

---

In regards to Party Poppers, used 2 big ones recently on bro's wedding, full of Rose petals.. its great but there was lots of "trimmings" inside and plenty of annoying scrap was produced as well, getting stuck in hair so even these can be uncool :(

OT:

Nerf guns ?
(30.04.2013, 15:22)Melgarh Wrote: 2) Brooms, poles, staves/staff (plastic, wooden, etc). - no idea if any cosplayers would even use such a thing but considering that Starswirl the Bearded could be cosplayed and could be pulled off with a staff, better ask =)

Good point, I thought about that as well, since I saw some of these things made problems at my last con.
Adding to this: Is painting your face (or the rest of your body) allowed? At Leipzig book fair some cosplayers told me they had to paint their faces inside because otherwise they wouldn't have been allowed to enter. (Because of ban on wearing face coverings (Vermummungsverbot)... stupid if you ask me, but let's see what con staff thinks about it.)

@One-Winged-Angel
You should also add that photographs/videos are allowed if you ask politely for permission (from the person of interest, people in background don't need to allow it)
@Staff
Regarding that, what is your policy on panels? Will it be "you can make photographs/videos as long as we don't say otherwise" or will it be "only with permission"?
Some conventions don't want their stuff shown by unprofessionals (or at all), so just asking for clarification to be sure.
Is plate armor (armour) allowed? Steel, iron or aluminium?

Not full suit; just: breastplate, helmet, graves and sabatons, gauntlets and pauldrons?

I want to cosplay a Royal Guard. Of princess Luna.
Provide pictures. Depending on how projecting the pieces are, there's a certain chance people might get hit by just walking past them. It's no fun (especially for you) if you have to watch out all the time.

Then there's the chance for pointy edges to be of certain danger. Usually costumes don't harm people that way, I can't remember hearing a case. But as for spikes on e.g. belts and the like (blunt, non-pointy and less than 2 inches long, if I remember correctly), there must be limits. This is somewhat similar.

With pictures, the Crew can answer way more accurately.
For a .MOV series inspired cosplay - is it possible to bring either a toy chainsaw or a foam replica of one?
Galacon 2013 - Pinkie approved
Crystal Fair 2014 - pending
Galacon 2014 - pending

Czech by birth, Finnish by heart Love
Updated... hope I didn't forget any questions.
I skyped with Weatherhoof for the answers.

So much text. So much room for misssssspelling. @_@